All students who live more than one and one-half miles
from the school they attend are eligible for bus
transportation. Bus transportation is available ONLY between
the school and the child’s designated bus stop.
Only in special pre-approved situations may a student
ride a bus other than his/her assigned bus or leave the bus
at any stop other than the assigned one. In emergency
situations the bus company must be notified by the
parent/guardian or school administrator of any change in a
student’s regular bus assignment. Questions concerning bus
regulations should be directed to First Student at
Students are expected to exhibit the same good behavior
on the school bus as they do in the classroom. The
discipline guidelines explained on pages 23-29 are also
enforced: 1) on the school bus, 2) at bus stops, 3) to
athletic/extracurricular activities, 4) on field trips, and
5) on bus routes between student’s home and the school.
There are some situations unique to the school bus. Some
examples of those are listed below:
- Students should arrive promptly at their designated
- Students should stand away from the road while
waiting for the bus.
- Caution should be observed when approaching the bus.
Students must wait for the bus to come to a complete
- Students must remain seated while the bus is in
- Students should be alert to a danger signal from the
- In the event of an emergency, students should remain
in the bus and wait for instructions from the driver.
- Hands and head must be kept inside the bus. Litter
and other objects should not be thrown inside the bus or
out bus windows.
- Excessive talking, laughter, or unnecessary
confusion will not be permitted since it may divert the
driver’s attention and result in an accident.
- Absolute quiet must be maintained when approaching a
- Vandalism is strictly prohibited. Any costs to
repair damage to the bus must be paid by those
responsible before transportation can be resumed.
- Students should not touch or tamper with bus
- Students should help keep the bus clean and safe at
all times. The consumption of food or beverages is not
permitted on the bus.
- No live animals including insects or reptiles are
permitted on the bus.
- Books, coats, and instruments should be kept out of
- No article may be left on the bus.
- Courtesy and consideration must be shown to the bus
driver and other students on the bus.
- Older students should help provide for the comfort
and safety of younger children on the bus.
- The driver can only stop at the regular assigned
- Safety procedures should be carefully observed when
unloading the bus. If crossing the roadway, students
proceed to a point at least ten feet in front of the bus
where traffic can clearly be seen from both directions
and wait for a signal from the driver.
- No tobacco products or controlled substances are
allowed on the bus.
- Any electronic device (i.e. radios, tape players)
that is not permitted at school will not be permitted on
the school bus. Students may use cellular telephones,
pagers, text messaging devices and other digital devices
(i.e. PDAs) while on the school bus. If, however, the
use of cellular telephones or similar devices disrupts
the safe operation of the school bus, the bus driver may
direct that such device can no longer be used on the
We expect students to follow the direction of the bus
driver as they would the teacher. Drivers may address
student misbehavior through a conference with the student, a
change in seating assignment, a parent conference or phone
call, or the driver may refer the matter to the building
principal via a conduct notice. Following are procedures for
1. A conduct notice will be issued in quadruplicate by
the bus driver.
2. The original of the conduct notice is given to the
student, who must have it signed by the parent or guardian,
and then show it to the bus driver upon boarding the bus the
3. The transportation manager will retain a copy of the
conduct notice on file and forward the remaining two copies
to the building principal for action.
4. The principal or his/her designee will take the
appropriate disciplinary action as described in this
handbook in Section III. In addition students are subject to
a suspension or expulsion from the bus for serious or
repeated misconduct. The length of the bus suspension will
be determined at the building level by the
principal/assistant principal. If a bus suspension
conference or hearing is requested, the principal, bus
driver, and a representative of the bus company may be
5. The final copy of the conduct notice will be mailed to
the parent by the principal after action has been taken.
If the problem remains unresolved to the satisfaction of
the parent after the parental conference, the parents may
submit a written appeal to the Superintendent. Upon receipt
of the written appeal, the Superintendent will either hear
the matter or appoint the hearing officer to conduct a
All unresolved suspensions shall continue for the
duration of the suspension until reviewed in accordance with
the written appeal procedure stated above, unless the parent
or guardian has signed a waiver of his right to a review of
said suspension action by the Superintendent or the hearing
officer appointed for the school district.
A copy of all correspondence sent to the parents relative
to transportation problems and the disciplinary action taken
will be sent to the Director of Transportation.
[back to top]