Grades will be calculated on a total point basis.
Grading by Percentage
Grade Weighting by Assignment (approximate)
Tests & Project
Homework, Portfolio, and Group Activities
|59.99% or below
- Expect to have homework everyday. No late assignments will be accepted!
- Always show your complete work on all assignments.
- Many assignments will require the use of a graphing calculator (TI-83's
may be available).
- Be prepared to have your homework graded the day after it is assigned.
- Put proper headings on assignments. (Name, date, page, problem ,item
Tests & Quizzes:
- Generally, a test or quiz will be given each week and unannounced
(Pop) quizzes are to be expected.
- One project per quarter is required and will count as a test score.
- Each Chapter Test will given a
summary note sheet (one 8.5" x 11") to be completed by
hand by each student prior to the test. If no note sheet is written
by the student, no partial credit
will be given on the questions.
- The two most important ingredients for success in this class are practice
- If you have an excused absence, you will be allowed to make
up your work for full credit by the same number of days you were consecutively
- Unexcused absences follow the same procedure as excused absence;
however, you will only receive 50% of the grade you earn.
- Time and day of the make-up will be determined by the teacher and
student. After a reasonable amount of time has elapsed and no attempt
has been made to make up such work, a zero will be given as a score.
- Refer to the school attendance policy for complete details on excused
and unexcused absences and make-up work.
- A student is tardy if he/she is not sitting in their assigned seats
before the bell finishes ringing.
- Running or sliding through the door or to an assigned seat as the
bell is ringing is not acceptable.
- First and second tardies -warning
- Third tardy - after school detention
- Fourth tardy -- Saturday detention
- Fifth and subsequent tardiness- in school suspensions
Passes out of the classroom:
- Each student has only 2 passes per semester to use. [Restroom
pass, locker pass, drink pass, etc.]
Supplies required every
- Pencils/Erasers Students must use pencils in this class [no pens!]
- Book: Each student will be issued a book. Lost and damaged books will
result in a fine. The cost of the textbooks is usually $50.
- Notebook paper (no spiral paper please)
- Calculator: We will be using TI-83 plus (classroom sets are available,
but will not be loaned outside the class.)
Responsibilities while absent:
Notes and Homework
Test and Quizzes
Get notes from a peer.
Read the section and look at examples.
Get the assignment from the calendar, web page or a peer
Do the assignment, if you need help come in before or
after school for assistance!
Write all journal entries in complete and grammatically correct
As per school policy you have the same amount of days as you were
absent to make up missing test/quizzes.
Any test/quiz not made up in the appropriate amount of time
will be a zero.
- I expect students to be respectful to each other and their teacher.
Refer to the student handbook if you have questions.
- Students are expected to take notes, ask questions, and work consistently
and continuously the entire class period.
- If problems occur in the class the discipline plan, in general, is:
- Verbal warning (may include "1 minute after class delayed dismissal"
or "15 minute after school mini-detention")
- After school detention
- Referral to the dean
- Parents called or e-mailed
- You can expect the teacher to maintain a classroom atmosphere that
is safe and conducive to the education of ALL students. Any student
or group of students prevent or disrupt this will be discipline as outlined
- I will try to be available before and after school at the new N.O.
Nelson complex for extra help [unless a meeting is scheduled].
- I can be reached at EHS: 656-7100 (voicemail 20754) or N.O. Nelson:
656-5814 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Due to the unique nature of instruction and scheduling at the new
N.O. Nelson complex, it is advisable for students who need extra help
or make up work at the EHS campus to make appropriate arrangements with
me. As well, I strongly encourage students and parents to contact me
as soon as possible if there are any questions or difficulties.
- I will keep the syllabus (schedule & assignments) for the class
updated on my website at www.ecusd7.org/ehs/ehsstaff/jmeinzen
Please read over this classroom policy, sign below, and return to me.
This is your first assignment for the course. Thank you.
EHS Math Department
|Print Parent/Guardian Name
||Print Student Name