Lewis and Clark’s
historical N.O. Nelson Campus is located at 600 Troy Road (Route 159) in
Edwardsville. The campus is named after the late Industrialist N.O.
Nelson who constructed his plumbing fixture business there in the late
1800’s. His efforts to better the living conditions and education of his
employees created the park-like Leclaire Village (now a charming
neighborhood of Edwardsville). Nelson stressed the importance of
education and founded the Leclaire school for employees and their
children. He believed that “The hand, the heart and head must be
educated together”. Nelson’s business was sold to the Wagner Electric
Corporation in the late 1940’s which eventually closed in 1957. The site
remained vacant until the Southern Illinois University Foundation
purchased the property in 1964. The foundation then sold the facilities
to the university in 1972. Many alums or former students/faculty/staff
of SIUE remember attending art classes or working in the library or
offices on the campus. The four-building campus, in need of major
repair, was used by the university for classes, offices and storage for
nearly 20 years before the property was deeded to Lewis and Clark
Community College in 1999.
in 2002 for construction of a new two-story building (N8) on the campus
which opened for classes in August 2003 to be used jointly by
Edwardsville High School District and Lewis and Clark Community College.
All other buildings on campus were gutted and refurbished keeping intact
the red brick façades and the multitude of arch-shaped windows and sky
lighting—signatures of Nelson’s uniquely designed industrial site
designed to bring in light and fresh air to better the working
conditions for his employees.
The first historical building on the campus to be finished was N7
which opened in spring 2004 and houses the College’s Community Education
Center. College services are available at the Center such as
appointments for assessment testing, enrollment and financial aid
assistance. Process Operations Technology Classes also are housed in N7.
Dedicated in May 2006, N3 offers more than 20,000 square feet of
classroom space. Classrooms and labs for biology, physics, drafting and
CNET are located in this building as well as Adult Education Classes.
In late 2007, the College dedicated the third phase (N4) of the
Edwardsville campus, naming it the Jay Hoffman Center after State Rep.
Jay Hoffman who was a major supporter and procurer of funds for the
renovation of the campus. The Jay Hoffman Center provides 35,500 square
feet of space for the Southwest Illinois Advanced Manufacturing (SIAM)
Center which is a joint initiative between Lewis and Clark and SIUE. The
Center also includes computer and electronic labs and a 66-seat lecture
hall. A public space within the Hoffman Center, the Leclaire Room,
offers room for approximately 250 people for seminars, training
workshops and catered social events.