The current Leclaire school structure opened in 1954 and cost $602,452. However, the history of Leclaire school goes all the way back to 1890. The manufacturing village of Leclaire was established by N.O. Nelson in 1877, an immigrant from Norway, Nelson became a successful businessman in Edwardsville. In an attempt to improve the living conditions of his factory workers, N.O. Nelson established the Village of Leclaire. Nelson believed that education was important and wanted to provide opportunities for the families that worked in his factory. In the late 1890’s the kindergarten and first grades were established. The school was paid for entirely through the manufacturing company. Nelson and his workers named the village and the school “Leclaire” after a famous Frenchman who practiced “collective action” with his workers in France.
Leclaire School Song by Linda Plant
- top -